2019-20Executive Development Program
A 9-month certificate program geared toward preparing early- to mid-career marketing leaders for increasing levels of responsibility in their organizations.
The goal of The Chief Marketing Officer Institute’s Executive Development Program (EDP) is to prepare early- to mid-career marketing leaders for increasing levels of responsibility in their organizations. Featuring curriculum designed by leading academicians and senior-level executives, this certificate program is intended to serve as a post-graduate enhancement for individuals holding a Master of Business Administration, or other business-related graduate degree.
The CMO Institute’s Executive Development Program is designed to provide participants with a deeper understanding of leadership principles, greater technical knowledge in the fields of strategy and marketing, and an appreciation for the role of intra-organizational and external relationships in the accomplishment of corporate and professional goals.
Thursday, September 12, 2019 (6:00 PM - 8:00 PM) – Introduction to Marketing Leadership
- Reading: Level 5 Leadership: The Triumph of Humility and Fierce Resolve by Jim Collins, Ph.D.
- Reading: “The Role & Leadership Challenges of the CMO” (The CMO Journal) by William L. Koleszar
- Reading: “Leading Marketing from Good to Great” (The CMO Journal) by William L. Koleszar
- Lecturer: Major General N. Lee Price, United States Army (Ret.)
Monday, October 21, 2019 (6:00 PM - 8:00 PM) – What is Strategy?
- Reading: “What is Strategy?” (Harvard Business Review) by Michael E. Porter, Ph.D.
- Reading: “Transient Advantage” (Harvard Business Review) by Rita Gunther McGrath, Ph.D.
- Lecturer: Dr. Rita McGrath, Columbia University, School of Business
Thursday, November 21, 2019 – (6:00 PM – 8:00 PM) Marketing Finance: ROI, Budgeting, & Beyond
- Reading: “5 Ways To Improve The Alliance Between Finance And Marketing” Forbes, April 2015
- Reading: “CMOs and Influence” (The Chief Marketing Officer Journal) Allan R. Cohen, Ph.D.
- Reading: “Why effective leaders must manage up, down, and sideways” (McKinsey Quarterly) T. Barta and P. Barwise
- Panelist: Todd Noden – Chief Financial Officer and Chief Operating Officer, Books-A-Million Inc.
- Panelist: Johnny Cupp – Chief Financial Officer, Therapy South
- Panelist: Jon Whetsell, Chief Financial Officer, Ligon Industries
Thursday, December 12, 2019 (6:00 PM – 8:00 PM) – Leveraging Analytics, Machine Learning, & AI for Decision Making
- Reading: “Aligning Analytics with Marketing Strategy” by Lawrence Duke and Atif Ashraf
- Panelist: Jaime Echols – Chief Behavioral Scientist, Reflex Blu
- Panelist: Josh Jones – Managing Partner, StrategyWise
- Panelist: Mo Charra – Senior Director, Advanced Analytics, Machine Learning, and AI Group, United Parcel Service
- Panelist: Keith Werle – Professor & Managing Director, Business Analytics Center, Georgia Institute of Technology
Thursday, January 16, 2020 (6:00 PM - 8:00 PM) – Creating, Differentiating, and Valuing Brands
- Reading: “Leading CEOs and Boards to a Greater Understanding of Brand Equity” William Neal and Ron Strauss
- Lecturer: Lucas Mininger – Chief Marketing Officer, Milo’s Ice Tea
Thursday, February 13, 2020 (6:00 PM - 8:00 PM) – Digital Marketing 1: The Psychology of Digital Marketing
- Reading: “Influence of parasocial relationship between digital celebrities and their followers” by Hwanga & Zhang
- Lecturer: Jake McKenzie – Chief Executive Officer, Intermark Group
Thursday, March 19, 2020 (6:00 PM - 8:00 PM) – Digital Marketing 2: Digital Ad Targeting and Effectiveness
- Reading: Mobile Ad Effectiveness: Hyper-Contextual Targeting with Crowdedness, Marketing Science, v.35-2 218-233
- Lecturer: Tom Daly, Former Head of Digital Marketing at The Coca-Cola Company
Thursday, April 16, 2020 (6:00 PM - 8:00 PM) – Enhancing the Sales & Marketing Relationship
- Reading: “On Sales & Marketing Integration” (The Chief Marketing Officer Journal) by Philip Kotler, Ph.D.
- Lecturer: Todd Decker, Chief Sales & Marketing Officer, Warren Averett
- Lecturer: Sean Doyle, Chief Executive Officer, FitzMartin, Inc.
- Lecturer: Dr. John Hansen, Professor, Department of Marketing, Industrial Distribution, and Economics at UAB
Saturday, May 16, 2020 (4:00 PM - 6:00 PM) – Delivering Service Excellence
- Reading: “Putting the Service-Profit Chain to Work” (HBR) by Heskett, Jones, Loveman, Sasser, and Schlesinger
- Lecturer: Thomas O. Jones, Executive in Residence, Harvard University