2022-2023UAB Campus | Executive Development Program
A 4-month certificate program geared toward preparing early- to mid-career marketing leaders for increasing levels of responsibility in their organizations.
The goal of The Chief Marketing Officer Institute’s Executive Development Program (EDP) is to prepare mid-career marketing leaders for increasing levels of responsibility in their organizations. Featuring curriculum designed by leading academicians and senior-level executives, this certificate program is intended to serve as a post-graduate enhancement for individuals holding a Master of Business Administration, or other business-related graduate degree.
Program Objectives & Curriculum Design
The primary objectives of the Executive Development Program are to:
- Provide participants with tools and insights to improve leadership acumen and accelerate their careers
- Expose participants to complex issues related to marketing and leadership
- Facilitate critical thinking and debate among participants
- Build meaningful professional relationships between participants, in order to serve as a mutual support network
To achieve these objectives, a rigorous curriculum featuring leading-edge research, case studies, and direct exposure to C-suite executives has been developed.
Coursework & Lectures
Developed in collaboration with university researchers, each session of the Executive Development Program features an instructor-led discussion of a preassigned reading or case study, followed by a panel discussion or presentation led by a C-suite executive from a widely-admired company. Topics covered during the academic year include leadership, strategy, managing cross-functional relationships, decision making, branding, and communications, among others. All sessions are held on the UAB campus.
Peer Networking and the Power of Relationships
One of the core tenets of the program is the importance of mutually supportive relationships in the accomplishment of corporate and professional goals. While there are no group projects during the academic year, multiple opportunities to engage with classmates and C-suite speakers will occur throughout the program. The importance of intra-organizational networking is also emphasized. Participants who successfully complete the program also receive invitations to alumni events and may join The CMO Institute’s LinkedIn group.
Admission, Tuition & Fees
Because the program has a limited number of participants each year, the standards of admission are high. The program focuses on admitting individuals who have already obtained a graduate degree, although exceptions may occur. To receive preferred placement in the 2022-23 EDP, apply before the early decision period ends on October 28, 2022. Upon acceptance into the program, a matriculation fee of $300 is due, which covers facility usage and all course materials. Tuition for the full year is $1,575 if paid up front by the employer, or in 4 installments of $525 if paid by the individual.
The curriculum for Executive Development Program is designed to provide participants with a deeper understanding of leadership principles, expanded knowledge in the fields of strategy, finance, and marketing, as well as an appreciation for the role of intra-organizational and external relationships in the accomplishment of corporate and professional goals.
SESSION A – Thursday, January 19, 2023 (1:00 to 5:30 pm)
Topic 1 – The Leadership Challenge
- Reading: Level 5 Leadership: The Triumph of Humility and Fierce Resolve (Harvard Business Review) by Jim Collins
- Reading: “The Role & Leadership Challenges of the CMO” (The CMO Journal) by William L. Koleszar
- Reading: “Leading Marketing from Good to Great” (The CMO Journal) by William L. Koleszar
- Speaker: Tricia Wallwork – Chair & CEO of Milo’s Tea Company, Inc.
Topic 2 – The Role of Marketing in Strategy Development and Execution
- Reading: “What is Strategy?” (Harvard Business Review) by Michael E. Porter, Ph.D.
- Reading: “Transient Advantage” (Harvard Business Review) by Rita Gunther McGrath, Ph.D.
- Speaker: Hinton Taylor – Senior Vice President of Strategic Planning, Regions Financial Corporation
SESSION B – Thursday, February 16, 2023 (1:00 to 5:30 pm)
Topic 1 – Developing Strong Cross-Functional Relationships
- Reading: “CMOs and Influence” (The Chief Marketing Officer Journal) Allan R. Cohen, Ph.D.
- Reading: “Why effective leaders must manage up, down, and sideways” (McKinsey Quarterly) T. Barta and P. Barwise
- Panelist: Jason Badyrka, Chief Operating Officer at American Family Care
- Panelist: Ardell Halston, Chief Human Resource Officer, Express Oil Change
- Panelist: Anthony Williams, Chief Information Officer, Surgical Care Affiliates
Topic 2 – Leveraging Data & Analytics for Decision Making
- Reading: “Aligning Analytics with Marketing Strategy” by Lawrence Duke and Atif Ashraf
- Speaker: Michael Taylor, Managing Director & Chief Data Officer, Latin America, Citibank
SESSION C – Thursday, March 16, 2023 (1:00 to 5:30 pm)
Topic 1 – Marketing Finance: ROI Measurement & Beyond
- Reading: “5 Ways To Improve The Alliance Between Finance And Marketing” Forbes, April 2015
- Speaker: Andria Cleghorn, Chief Financial Officer at O’Neal Steel
Topic 2 – Digital Advertising, Social Media, and Society
- Case Study: Facebook: Fake News, Free Speech and an Internet Platform’s Responsibility (Harvard Business Publishing)
- Speaker: Amy Baker Drew, Chief Marketing Officer, AAMCO Transmissions and Total Car Care
SESSION D – Thursday, April 20, 2023 (1:00 to 5:30 pm)
Topic 1 – Enhancing the Sales & Marketing Relationship
- Reading: “On Sales & Marketing Integration” (The Chief Marketing Officer Journal) by Philip Kotler, Ph.D.
- Speaker: Dr. Mike Wittman, Professor and Department Chair, Marketing, Industrial Distribution, & Economics at UAB
Topic 2 – Antecedents of Customer Satisfaction & Loyalty
- Reading: “Putting the Service-Profit Chain to Work” (HBR) by Heskett, Jones, Loveman, Sasser, and Schlesinger
- Speaker: Jeremy Wolter, Associate Professor of Marketing, Auburn University
Note 1: Listed guest speakers are expected, but not guaranteed; substitutions may occur.
Note 2: The CMO Institute will be following CDC, state, local, and university COVID-19 protocols to ensure participant safety.
To receive preferred placement in the 2022-23 EDP, apply before the early decision period ends on October 28, 2022. Upon acceptance into the program, a matriculation fee of $300 is due, which covers facility usage and all course materials. Tuition for the full year is $1,575 if paid up front by the employer, or in 4 installments of $525 if paid by the individual.