2018-19Executive Development Program
A 9-month certificate program geared toward preparing early- to mid-career marketing leaders for increasing levels of responsibility in their organizations.
The goal of The Chief Marketing Officer Institute’s Executive Development Program (EDP) is to prepare early- to mid-career marketing leaders for increasing levels of responsibility in their organizations. Featuring curriculum designed by leading academicians and senior-level executives, this certificate program is intended to serve as a post-graduate enhancement for individuals holding a Master of Business Administration, or other business-related graduate degree.
The CMO Institute’s Executive Development Program is designed to provide participants with a deeper understanding of leadership principles, greater technical knowledge in the fields of strategy and marketing, and an appreciation for the role of intra-organizational and external relationships in the accomplishment of corporate and professional goals.
Thursday, September 13, 2018 (6:30 PM - 8:30 PM) – Introduction to Marketing Leadership
- Reading: “The Role & Leadership Challenges of the CMO” (The CMO Journal) by William L. Koleszar
- Reading: “Leading Marketing from Good to Great” (The CMO Journal) by William L. Koleszar
- Reading: Level 5 Leadership: The Triumph of Humility and Fierce Resolve by Jim Collins, Ph.D.
- Lecturer: Dr. Duncan Hulsey – Partner, Blankenship and Seay Consulting
Thursday, October 25, 2018 (6:30 PM - 8:30 PM) – What is Strategy?
- Reading: “What is Strategy?” (Harvard Business Review) by Michael E. Porter, Ph.D.
- Harvard Business School Case: Southwest Airlines by Vijay Govindarajan and Julie Lang
- Lecturer: Hinton Taylor – Senior Vice President of Strategic Planning, Regions Financial Corporation
Saturday, November 10, 2018 – Working with Finance, Legal, & Operations
- Reading: “CMOs and Influence” (The Chief Marketing Officer Journal) Allan R. Cohen, Ph.D.
- Lecturer: Todd Noden – Chief Financial Officer and Chief Operating Officer, Books-A-Million Inc.
Thursday, December 13, 2018 (6:30 PM - 8:30 PM) – Leveraging Data & Analytics for Decision Making
- INSEAD Case: “Jaguar Land Rover: Towards a Customer-centric Organisation” by Joerg Niessing and Brian Henry
- Lecturer: Josh Jones – Managing Partner, StrategyWise
Thursday, January 17, 2019 (6:30 PM - 8:30 PM) – Executing Integrated Digital Marketing
- Reading: “6 Ways to Leverage Programmatic in Your Brand’s Marketing Plan” (AdWeek) by James Bourner
- Lecturer: Chad Stubbs – Chief Executive Officer, Reflex Blu
- Lecturer: Josh Henderson – Chief Marketing Officer, Express Oil Change & Tire Engineers
Thursday, February 21, 2019 (6:30 PM - 8:30 PM) – Creating & Differentiating Great Brands
- Reading: “Twenty-One Different Types Of Brand” (Brand Strategy Insider) by Mark Di Somma
- Reading: “The Rise Of The One Brand Strategy” (Brand Strategy Insider) by Mark Ritson
- Lecturer: Rebekah Elgin-Council – Chief Marketing Officer, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama
- Lecturer: Jake McKenzie – Chief Executive Officer, Intermark Group
Thursday, March 21, 2019 (6:30 PM - 8:30 PM) – Managing Media Relations & Communications
- Reading: The Colonial Pipeline Explosion – Selected News Reports, October 2016
- Lecturer: Danny Markstein – Managing Director, Markstein
Thursday, April 18, 2019 (6:30 PM - 8:30 PM) – Enhancing the Sales & Marketing Relationship
- Reading: “On Sales & Marketing Integration” (The Chief Marketing Officer Journal) by Philip Kotler, Ph.D.
- Lecturer: Dr. Mike Wittmann, Chair, Department of Marketing, Industrial Distribution, and Economics at UAB
Thursday, May 16, 2019 (6:30 PM - 8:30 PM) – Delivering Service Excellence
- Reading: The State of Customer Service Leadership (Harvard Business School Working Knowledge) by Jim Aisner
- Lecturer: William L. Koleszar, Chief Marketing Officer, American Family Care